Filed under: High Blood Pressure
Toprol-XL is a long acting form of a medication called metoprolol. It was designed to reduce the number of doses of metoprolol a person would have to take in a day. Usually, but not always, to once a day.
The advantages of this are:
- It’s easier and more convenient for you
- You maintain a steadier level of metoprolol in your body which is much less stressful than coping with highs and lows
- You are less likely to forget doses – again helps keep the level of metoprolol steady.
So, when do you take it if you take it once a day ?
First, you must follow your doctor’s advice and take your medication exactly as directed.
If, however, your doctor leaves it up to you, or you feel you need to look at changing, here are some thoughts to consider:
- When is your blood pressure higher? And when is it lower? You could take your med to meet the period of higher pressure.
So if your blood pressure measures higher in the morning and lower in the evening, you might find it works better for you to take your dose as soon as you wake up. That would be most helpful if you feel the effects of Toprol-XL very quickly – say within 30 minutes of a dose. If it takes hours, you might try taking it at bed time.
Some have chosen to take their Toprol-XL in the middle of the night because they always wake up at a certain time, like clockwork. That could be risky because sleep patterns can always change. Plus, while half asleep, you might make any number of mistakes. So I’m not sure about that strategy.
On the other hand, if your blood pressure tends to be higher in the evening and lower in the morning, you might prefer your dose late in the afternoon or very early in the evening.
- Toprol-XL can cause fatigue and dizziness. For that reason, many prefer to take it just before they go to sleep.
When do you work? Night time or day? If you work in the day you might find it’s better for you to take it at night. Then, the fatigue or dizziness is more likely to have settled by the time you go to work. Similarly, if you work at night, taking your dose in the day, just before you sleep may work nicely.
Your blood pressure and heart rate normally decrease at night (again not for everyone). So taking Toprol-XL in the afternoon may “waste” some of it’s action whereas you need it most in the daytime.
- Toprol can cause insomnia. If that’s the case for you, you could try taking it in the morning.
- On the other hand, because Toprol-XL can cause you to feel tired, you may find, as others do, that it’s better to take it before bed. Many have commented that it even helps with sleep.
It’s not an easy one to answer. There is no absolute best time to take your Toprol-XL. There are lots of important factors to take into account, some of which we’ve discussed above.
You do, however, have choices and should know that you can adjust the times to find a time that suits you.
When you make an adjustment, give it a little time to see how it’s working out. One or two days is probably not long enough.
Do discuss this with your doctor and your pharmacist. They’ll be able to reassure you, answer very specific questions you may have, and of course make notes in your records.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment